This one-storey brick building on Main Street in Winnipeg, measuring 54 feet by 86 feet, was constructed as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited by W. A. Irish and Company at a cost of about $20,000. It was opened officially on 14 December 1929. An addition on the front of the building has all but concealed the original storefront but portions are still visible from the side facing Atlantic Avenue.
Former Safeway store on Main Street in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92533, W97.12490
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: W. A. Irish and Company
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 4900/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
[Advertisement], Winnipeg Tribune, 13 December 1929, page 4.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 September 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.