This one-storey, 28 by 80-foot brick building on Logan Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in 1936 by Malcom Construction at a cost of about $6,500, as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited. It was in use as a pawn shop at the time of a 2020 site visit.
Former Safeway store on Logan Avenue in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92117, W97.19424
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Malcom Construction
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“Plan new theatre,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1936, page 7.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Page revised: 8 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!