Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 502 / Foodfare Store (247 Lilac Street, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Osborne Street in Winnipeg, measuring 30 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929 by the firm of Fraser and MacDonald, at a cost of about $12,000, as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited.
The building was occupied by a community grocery at the time of a 2020 site visit. Its exterior is relatively unmodified from its original appearance.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2987/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“Safeway stores receive four building permits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 July 1929, page 3.
“2-day opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1929, page 6.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 16 December 2022