This four-storey brick building on Pacific Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in 1914 for wholesale grocer Alexander Macdonald. Sold to Safeway Stores Limited in 1929, it was the company’s corporate headquarters for many years.
Former Macdonald Consolidated Building / Safeway Building (September 2019)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90248, W97.14061
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Alexander “Sandy” Macdonald (1843-1928)
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
Manitoba Business: Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited
Page revised: 2 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!