Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ruthenia School No. 1259 (Ruthenia, Municipality of Rossburn)
The Ruthenia School District was established formally in January 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE20-21-25W) near Ruthenia in the Municipality of Rossburn. In January 1968, the school closed and the district was dissolved. Its area became part of the Pelly Trail School Division. No vestige of the school remains at the site. A sign along the road commemorates its presence.
The teachers of Ruthenia School included A. Mykytiuk (1904), K. B. Gwozdriscki, George Shkwarok (1912), E. Mykytiuk (1916), and Michael Nowosad (1924).
Glen Elmo West topographic map, 62K/15 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 February 2019
Back to top of page