Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rubin Block / Morley Apartments (270 Morley Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick block at the corner of Morley Avenue and Osborne Street in Winnipeg was designed by pioneering architect Max Blankstein for contractor Reubin Cohen and built in 1914 at a cost of about $60,000. The main floor hosted a branch of the Merchants Bank of Canada and shops for a barber and tailor. The upper two floors had 18 residential apartments.
Later owners included the Timco Investments Company (1915-1925), John Alexander Forlong (1925-1931), Lonsdale Investment Limited (1933-1943), H. Sokolov and M. Wolinsky (1944), and Samuel Werier (1947-1948). It is still owned by the Werier family. The building was damaged by major fires in 2007 and 2014, and it has been sitting empty ever since.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 351/1914, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Rubin Block / Morley Apartments, 270 Morley Avenue by Murray Peterson, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, December 2017.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 29 November 2022