Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Royal Bank of Canada Building (460 Main Street, Winnipeg)

This building dates from 1900 when a three-storey structure was designed by local architect James H. Cadham and built by contractor Phil Burnett for wholesale merchant R. J. Whitla, extending an adjoining structure on Albert Street from the previous year. Known as the Imperial Dry Goods Block, it was purchased by the Royal Bank of Canada, which had arrived in Winnipeg in 1906 and had initially leased space on the east side of Main Street south of Bannatyne Avenue. The bank intended to redevelop the building immediately but was delayed in doing so by a recession from 1907 to 1908. By 1909, a four-storey design by architect J. H. G. Russell saw the erection of a steel frame and concrete structure using the stone foundation and brick shell of the preceding building. A dividing wall was used to split the earlier building, the original roof and front facade were removed from the Main Street structure, the foundation walls were reinforced, and a fourth floor was added.

The bank occupied the main floor and some of the upper floors, and leased the remainder to various tenants. It stayed at the site until the mid-1920s when it merged with the Union Bank of Canada and relocated to the latter’s office tower at the southwest corner of the Main and William intersection. By 1950, the property had been acquired by the insurance and real estate business of Aronovitch and Leipsic Limited. It was later owned by members of the Brown family. It is now a municipally-designated historic site.

A collection of photographs of the building by J. H. G. Russell is held at the Archives of Manitoba.

Royal Bank Building

Royal Bank Building (June 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.89738, W97.13905
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Robert James Whitla (1846-1905)

Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building (504 Main Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Royal Bank, 460 Main Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1982.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 June 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.