Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rowland School No. 470 (RM of Prairie Lakes)
The Rowland School District was established formally in August 1886. A school operated at SW24-4-18W, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Prairie Lakes, from 1897 to 1963. The school was destroyed by fire in 1963, after which students from the local area went to Buttrum Consolidated School No. 679.
Among the teachers of Rowland School were W. E. Muirhead (1886), Mrs. Annie Kent Mustard, Miss Thompson, Miss Johnson, Miss Disney, D. Walker, Miss Harlton, D. Mackenzie, Miss A. Ludgate, Miss Sands, Miss K. Chapman, Miss Washington, Miss W. Collis, Miss N. Martin, Miss Stiver, Miss B. Coleman, Miss Mawhinney, Miss Morrow, Miss V. Smith, Miss Harris, Miss E. Barbour, Miss Parsons, Mr. McBride, Miss P. Foster, Miss Elsie Fox, Miss Hunter, Miss Edith Fox, Miss Pogson, Miss Weber, Miss Yaremko, Miss A. Black, Miss A. Martin, Mrs. G. McKnight, Miss J. Russell, Miss Kirbyson, Miss Elin Lee, Miss Simpson, Miss Laura Fleming, Glenn Arnott, Mrs. Verlie Arnott, and Mrs. Alice McKnight (1963).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Reflections: Turtle Mountain Municipality and Killarney, 1882-1982, pages 112-113.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 June 2017
Back to top of page