Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rover Docks (Red River, Winnipeg)
Plans for a public dock at this Winnipeg site were developed by August 1914 to meet demands of ever-increasing boat traffic on the Red River. Construction by the federal government’s Department of Public Works began on 14 December 1914 under the supervision of district engineer John Sweeney. Located parallel to Rover Avenue between Annabella and Syndicate, a dock measuring 400 feet in length and 30 feet in width was supported by posts driven 30 feet to bedrock. Work continued through the winter and was completed by late July 1915 at a cost of about $25,000.
The finished dock was turned over to the Winnipeg and St. Boniface Harbour Commission. Cut timber was a frequent cargo offloaded here, with stacks aligned temporarily between the dock area and Rover Avenue, before being moved to local industrial sites. As privately owned commercial docks were built, by 1929 this dock was reportedly seeing little use. It was eventually replaced by the Alexander Docks located closer to the centre of industry and commerce. These docks were later demolished with the only vestiges being the wooden support posts that are visible at times of low water levels.
“New jobs for men nosed out of work here,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 August 1914, page 1.
“Expecting work on docks soon,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 October 1914, page 8.
“Work on $25,000 dock on Monday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 December 1914, page 14.
“[The regular meeting of the Manitoba branch Canadian Society of Civil Engineers ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 January 1915, page 5.
Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, H7 614.41 edc Series 2 - Volume 2 - Winnipeg, Sheet #228, Archives of Manitoba.
“City hall sidelights,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 March 1929, page 7.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 October 2017
Back to top of page