This two-storey wood frame house on Spence Street in Winnipeg was designed and built in 1902 by music teacher and contractor Victor L. Bouche for real estate agent John Hugo Ross. Other occupants included engineer Donald Aynsley Ross, dentist Charles Heavysege Walsh (c1904-1929), and city clerk Wilfred Lawson (1945).
Memorable Manitobans: John Hugo Ross (1875-1912)
Memorable Manitobans: Donald Aynsley Ross (1877-1956)
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Heavysege Walsh (1866-1950)
H. Ross House, 186 Spence Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.