Rose Lea School District No. 278 (sometimes spelled Roselea School) was formally established in March 1884 and a wood frame school building was erected on the northwest quarter of 14-14-28 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Ellice-Archie. It was dissolved in July 1961 and its remaining students went to Rutherglen Consolidated School No. 1297. As of 1986, the former school building was being used as a garage at SE10-15-28W.
Rose Lea School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 12.
The former Rose Lea School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 46.
Rose Lea School commemorative sign (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.19620, W101.21786
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rutherglen Consolidated School No. 1297 (McAuley, RM of Ellice-Archie)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 September 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.