Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rose Grove School No. 2216 (RM of Woodlands)
The Rose Grove School District was established in March 1930 and a schoolhouse, purchased from local resident Arthur Cole, was situated on the northeast corner of NE19-13-4W in the Rural Municipality of Woodlands. Classes began around December 1940. The school closed permanently in 1952 and nothing remains at the site. The building was moved to Poplar Point where it was used for some years before being demolished.
Among the teachers of Rose Grove School were Clarence D. Voigt (1930-1937), Donald Coates, Evelyn McKinstry, Marjorie Warburton, Lynn Roblin, Dorothy McNichol, Muriel Bruce, and Treva Cook.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Woodland Echoes by Madeline L. Proctor, 1970, pages 196-197.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (GR1629), Rose Grove School District No. 2216 - Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer and George Eves for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2021