Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Roseau Route Monument (Letellier, RM of Montcalm)

This monument, on First Street East in Letellier, in the Rural Municipality of Montcalm, commemorates the Roseau Route. The war road of the Sioux leading to the Lake of the Woods, it was the earliest route to the west, first used in 1733 by the French explorer La Jemmeraye in 1736. He was buried near the mouth of the Roseau River. The plaque was unveiled in 1936 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.

Roseau Route commemorative monument

Roseau Route commemorative monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.13668, W97.30267
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 August 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.