Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rogers School No. 1267 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Rogers School District was organized formally in February 1904, and a school building was erected on land donated by Paul and Maria Ditz, on the northwest quarter of 9-19-22W in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. It closed in June 1959 and was used for a time as a dormitory at a resort on Seech Lake northeast of the school site. Eventually, the building was moved to the Prairie Mountain Regional Museum. A monument dedicated on 21 August 2004 commemorates it at the original site.
The teachers of Rogers School were Mr. S. Mykytiuk (1910-1911), H. Batenchuk (1911-1912), H. Golets (1912-1913), Peter Melnyk (1913-1914, 1915-1916), Dmytro M. Wowk (1914-1915), Michael Karalash (1916), Jacob Hlady (1916-1919), Michael Zubrak (1919-1922), Leon Karpow (1922), Mathew Saranchuk (1922-1924), Dmytro D. Dutchak (1924-1925), James T. Dutchak (1925-1926), Stephen G. Hyra (1926-1927), Nicholas Yanick (1927-1928), Anne Nykorchuk Nelson (1928-1930), Olga Chorneyko (1930-1931), Marcia Korol Ewashko (1931-1935, 1952-1956), William Raginski (1935-1938), Maria Yanick Kotyk (1938-1942), Nellie Chornenko Wolochatiuk (1942-1943), Nestor Budinski (1943), Anne Zurbyk Zebrowski (1944-1945), Mary Hersak Derkatch (1945), Olga Hersak Yarish (1945), Anthony Gerelus (1946), Alice Prosken Klimack (1946-1947), Anthony Peech (1947-1948), Jean Bewza Sharkey (1948-1949), Margaret Woychyshyn Peech (1949-1950), Olga Kowal Drul (1950), Olga Yarish (1951), Joyce Smith Antonation (1956-1958), and Olga Mazur Kowalchuk (1958-1959).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]
Rogers School District #1267, 1904-1959: Centennial Celebration & Dedication of Cairn, August 21, 2004 by Rogers School #1267 Cairn Committee, 2004. [Elizabeth Dafoe Library, Slav LE5 M3 R64 2004]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 September 2016
Back to top of page