Historic Sites of Manitoba: Robinson, Little and Company Building / Silpit Building (54 Arthur Street, Winnipeg)
This six-storey building on Arthur Street was constructed between 1903 and 1904 on a design by Winnipeg architect James Henry Cadham. Situated next to the Whitla Building, the original owner was the wholedale dry goods firm of Greenshields Western Merchants but it was soon sold to Robinson, Little and Company. This company used the building until the 1960s when the Silpit Industries Company that had occupied the Whitla Building expanded into this space.
The entire complex of two buildings is sometimes known as the Silpit Building. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
Memorable Manitobans: James Henry Cadham (1850-1907)
Manitoba Business: Robinson Little and Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: R. J. Whitla and Company Building (70 Arthur Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Greetings from Winnipeg: Views of a Changing City by Gordon Goldsborough, Russ Gourluck, Rob McInnes, Giles Bugailiskis and Randy Rostecki
Manitoba History, Number 55, June 2007
Robinson, Little and Company Building, 54 Arthur Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, May 2007.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 November 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.