Historic Sites of Manitoba: National Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator A (Rivers, Municipality of Riverdale)
A wooden grain elevator at Rivers, on the CNR Rivers Subdivision in the Municipality of Riverdale, was built in 1951 by National Grain. It opened officially on 2 August 1951. The facility’s initial 45,000-bushel capacity was increased to 98,000 bushels in 1956 by the construction of an annex. Sold to Cargill Grain in 1975, the elevator was closed in December 2000 and demolished in August 2001.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Digital orthophotographs, Manitoba Land Initiative.
Obituary [Reid M. Spearin], Rivers Gazette-Reporter, 19 March 1980, page 5.
“Silbernagel’s farewell,” Rivers Banner, 29 August 1994, page 1.
“Cargill to shut down in Rivers,” Rivers Banner, 25 November 2000, page 1.
“Cargill gone for good,” Rivers Banner, 9 December 2000, page 10.
“Going up … coming down,” Rivers Banner, 4 August 2001, page 1.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Janice Spearin French, Allison Bate Foster, and George Penner for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2020