Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ringrose School No. 2119 (RM of Fisher)
The Ringrose School District was organized formally in March 1925. A one-room schoolhouse was constructed at SW21-24-2W in the Rural Municipality of Fisher, on two acres of land donated by homesteader Joseph Thomas Ringrose, for whom the district was named. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building was moved to the Fisher Branch School. It was later sold to a local resident and, as of 2014, was still standing. Some remnants of its foundation remain at the original site.
Among the teachers of Ringrose School were Eugenie Negrych (1927-1928), ? (1928-1929), Ivan Pakulak (1929-1930, 1942-1943), Mary Swirski (1930-1932), Michael Richard Firman (1932-1935), ? (1935-1937), Stephanie Winifred Malkowich (1937-1940), ? (1940-1941), Yvonne Peres? (Fall 1941), Evelyn Collins (Spring 1942), ? (1943-1944), Marion Catherine Baley (1944-1945), ? (1945-1947), Stella Sachowski (1947-1948), Olga Legin (1948-1949), Stella Zubatiuk (1949-1952), Roseanita A. Schmidt (1952-1953), Lorraine Ann Allen (1953-1954), Diane Guttormson (1954-1955), Myrna June Stephan (1955-1958), Anne Buchko (1958-1959), Ada Ringrose Wiebe (1959-1962), Helen Torbiak (1962-1963), Jayne Marie Sobkowich Dilk (1963-1965), and Betty Jean Kubas (1965-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Ringrose School District No. 2119 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.
Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #39 School District of Ringrose, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Henry Esau, Ada Ringrose Wiebe, and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 17 December 2019
Back to top of page