This location along Carberry’s historic downtown strip was formerly occupied by the Rex Cafe. Built around 1900, the one-storey brick structure was a public gathering place for many years. Operated by Chinese-born entrepreneur Lee Low (1896-1958) from 1922 to 1950, it served hot meals, ice cream, and soft drinks and also sold candy, fruit, tobacco and cigars. The building was demolished in 1983 and the site, designated municipally (2007), is now used to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the town.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: C.V.M. Cafe (24 Main Street, Carberry)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Early Chinese settlers in Western Manitoba by Alison R. Marshall
Manitoba History, Number 62, Winter 2009
Former Rex Café Site, 50 Main Street, Carberry, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.