The Reidville School District was organized formally in November 1923 and a one-room school building was erected in the following year at NW32-16-24W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead, on land purchased from D. C. Fleming. It featured a full concrete basement, furnace, water cistern, chemical toilets, and hardwood floors. The building opened for classes in September 1924.
The school closed in June 1961 and its remaining students went to Shoal Lake Consolidated School No. 2352. The district was dissolved in 1962. The building was purchased and moved to the village of Shoal Lake where it was renovated into a private residence. A sign and monument, erected in 1984, commemorate it at the original site.
Among the teachers who worked at Reidville School were Miss I. McDonald (1924-1925), Evelyn Beattie Rheume (1954-1955), Mrs. Foxton (1960-1961), and Thelma Rachel Menzies.
Reidville School (circa 1955)
Source: Evelyn Beattie Rheume via Ed Arndt
Reidville School commemorative monument and sign (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.41734, W100.75402
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Ripples On The Lake: A History of Shoal Lake Municipality, 1884-1984 by Shoal Lake History Book Committee, 1984.
We thank Malcolm Bell, Ed Arndt, and Evelyn Beattie Rheume for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!