Historic Sites of Manitoba: Reid House / Weir House (23 Kennedy Street, Winnipeg)
This two-storey residence on Kennedy Street in Winnipeg was built in 1912 for grain merchant Alexander Reid. After Reid moved out around 1921, it was occupied into the late 1930s by bank manager Jean Henri Bourgouin (1872-1947), the French consul in Winnipeg and son-in-law of Joseph Dubuc, and later by his son, physician Jean Joseph Bourgouin (1900-1991). A succession of families resided in the house through the 1940s and 1950s. By the early 1970s, it was named Weir House, probably in recognition of former Manitoba Premier Walter C. Weir, and used as the caucus headquarters for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba.
“J. H. Bourgouin, former French consul, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 December 1947, page 25.
Obituary [Mrs. J. H. (Flavie) Bourgouin], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 November 1962, page 24.
“Agreement on single candidates?,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 October 1972, page 1.
Obituary [Dr. Jean Bourgouin], Winnipeg Free Press, 18 January 1991, page 30.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Alexander Reid House & Coach House, 23 Kennedy Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2007.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 March 2020
Back to top of page