A fieldstone cairn in St. Johns Park in Winnipeg was dedicated by St. John’s-Ravenscourt School on 1 November 1995. It commemorates the Red River Mission School that was established near this site on 1 November 1820, by Reverend John West under the auspices of the Anglican Church Missionary Society. It was the first Protestant school in western Canada for the education of local children.
Red River Mission School commemorative monument (July 2018)
Source: Nathan Kramer
Site Location (lat/long): N49.91911, W97.12601
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John West (1778-1845)
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 30.
Page revised: 17 July 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!