This two-storey wood frame building on Aikins Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and constructed in 1907 by contractor J. Shrem for owner J. Freedman. The 32 feet by 48 feet building contained ten residential apartments. Known initially as Aikins Court, by 1917 it was renamed Pritchard Court. Subsequently, it was taken over by the Missionaries of Charity, a public service facility of the Archdiocese of Winnipeg.
Missionaries of Charity Building (November 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91467, W97.13803
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1986/1907, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1803/1930, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 10 April 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!