Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kenmore Apartments / Princeton Apartments (314 Broadway, Winnipeg)
This five storey, brick and stone apartment block on the south side of Broadway in Winnipeg was designed by local architect William Wallace Blair and constructed in 1909, at a cost of about $200,000, for the Kenmore Apartment Company. The 120 foot by 115 foot structure contained 55 apartments in its original configuration. Known as the Kenmore Apartments, its tenants included managers, professionals and workers employed in nearby businesses, hotels, stores, and railway facilities.
In 1927, the building was purchased by George Ephraim Baldry and renamed the Princeton Apartments. Renovations made at that time include dividing six-room apartments into two- or three-room apartments. Baldry’s firm owned the property until the late 1970s and also housed its business there during the 1930s and early 1940s.
It remains one of two pre-1910 apartment blocks (the other being Strathmore Block immediately to the west) that once dominated Broadway, most having been replaced by commercial towers. The building is a municipally-designated historic site (1997).
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1045/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2621/1927, City of Winnipeg Archives.
The Princeton Apartments (314 Broadway), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 1996.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 26 January 2022