Historic Sites of Manitoba: Preston School No. 572 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Preston School District was organized in April 1889 and a school building was erected in the northwest quarter of 20-14-12 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone, southwest of Gladstone. The district was dissolved in July 1967. The school building was later moved 20 miles east to a site near the village of Westbourne.
Among the noteworthy students of Preston School was James R. Ferguson.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 February 2021