Historic Sites of Manitoba: Poplar Bluff School No. 734 (RM of Portage la Prairie)
Known as the Poplar Grove School District when it was established formally in February 1893, it was renamed Poplar Bluff soon afterward because another school by that name already existed in western Manitoba. A school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 30-11-7 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. It was enlarged in 1920. The school closed permanently in 1967 and the remaining students were bused to schools in Portage la Prairie. For a short while, the building was used as a community centre but it was later sold and renovated into a private residence.
Noteworthy students who attended Poplar Bluff School include Harry Leader.
Some of the teachers who worked at Poplar Bluff School through the years were Maud Macwhinny, Eda Wilson Gair, Rose Marquette, and Ina Pearson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2015
Back to top of page