Historic Sites of Manitoba: National Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator (Pitlochry, Municipality of Hamiota)
A 25,000-bushel wooden grain elevator on the railway siding of Pitlochry, on the CPR Miniota Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Hamiota, consisted of an office and powerhouse (the elevator was powered by a Ruston Horsby engine under the office turning a line shaft to the elevator), coal and fertilizer shed, and agent’s house. Built in 1924 by the National Grain Company, it was closed in 1974 and demolished in 1977. The agent’s house was moved to SW10-14-22W.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
Hamiota East topographic map, 62K/2 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
“Birthday celebrated,” Hamiota Echo, 14 March 1974, page 1.
“Current comments,” Hamiota Echo, 27 June 1974, page 2.
Hamiota, Grains of the Century: 1884-1984 by Hamiota Centennial History Committee, 1984, pages 107-108. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.H34 Ham]
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
We thank Paul Dillon and Ronald Hanlin for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 January 2018
Back to top of page