Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine View School No. 1225 (RM of Mossey River)
The Pineview School District was established in March 1903. A wood frame school building was constructed on the northeast corner of SE29-29-19W in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. A new building was built near the older one in 1952 and it operated until 1967 when it closed. The newer building was moved away but the original school continued to be used as a granary. The district was dissolved in April 1967 and the area was added to the Duck Mountain School Division. There are no remnants of the former school at the site today.
Among the teachers who worked at Pine View School through the years were: Vina Harlow (1921-1922), E. A. Sutherland (1921-1922), Katherine King (1930-1931), D. M. Cooper (1932-1933), Vera E. Shield (1933-1934), Gladys Walker (1934-1937), Ada E. Clark (1937-1938), Myrtle Patsack (1938-1940), B. M. Whitelock (1940-1941), Gladys Rowe (1943-1958), Ethel Smith (1958-1959), Vera Hafenbrak (1958-1959), Mary Sahulka (1958-1966), and Alice Stozek (1959-1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Pine View School District #1225” by Gladys Rowe, Memoirs From the Past: Rural Municipality of Mossey River by Mossey River History Book Committee, 1999, pages 88-93.
We thank Steve Shewchuk for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 February 2015
Back to top of page