Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Ridge School No. 608 (RM of Springfield)
Pine Ridge School District was formally established in June 1889 and a building was erected at SW16-12-5E in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. It was replaced, in 1905, with a two-room structure, with grades one to four taught in one room, and grades five to nine in the other. Teachers resided in a four-room cottage nearby. The present building was erected in 1950. When Birds Hill Provincial Park was established, it was moved to the end of Nimowin Road and used for interpretive workshops. Its original location was at N50.00410, W96.86427 (SW16-12-5E).
Some of the teachers who taught at Pine Ridge School included Albert Haller (1906-1908), John A. May (1908-1912), A. Wolaszynski (1912), N. W. Pilcha (1912-1918), Anna Lackman (1918), I. E. P. Henson (1919), Mary C. Miller (1920), Marjorie Casey (1921), Elsie Finnie George (1921), Elizabeth White (1923), Anna Hermann (1923), Albina Karman (1924-1927), Sophie Cherry (1925), K. Livingstone (1926, 1928-1932), Mabel B. Smiethers (1928-1931, 1933), Mrs. M. B. Hunter (1933), Mrs. Anne Keith (1934-1937), Mary E. Bone (1934), M. E. Evenden (1935-1936), Edith G. P. Leech (1937), Janet S. Stewart (1937-1938), Mary Kornelsen (1939-1941), Alice M. E. Tweddell (1939), Lillian Mae Brister (1940), Mary A. Williams (1941), Christine Sweinson (1942-1945), Irene Blanchard (1943), Alice J. Shalay (1944), Beatrice Sweinson (1945), Anna Gloria Pastushenko (1946-1947), Anne Rogoski (1946), Mrs. V. A. Kochie (1947), Ruth Hayward (1948, 1951-1952), Irene Bircham (1948-1949, 1951-1953), Anne Helen Epp (1950), Joyce Reives (1950), Dess O. Whiteman (1953-1957), Donald Zaporzan (1954), Eileen Zaporzan (1954), John Baydock (1955-1956), Rose Alexandra Baydock (1955-1956), Edward Lefteruk (1958-1959), Elsie Finnie George (1960-1962), M. McTavish (1962), and A. Nickel (1964).
Selkirk topographic map, 62I/2, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
Springfield: 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973 by Dugald Women’s Institute, 1974.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Pine Ridge Self-Guiding Trail, Manitoba Conservation.
We thank Emily English (Birds Hill Provincial Park) and Kelly-Anne Richmond (Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship) for their assistance in locating Pine Ridge School, and Nathan Kramer for providing a modern photo of it. Photos of the school interior were provided by Eileen George and George Stewart.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 June 2019
Back to top of page