The hill from which the town of Pilot Mound, in the Municipality of Louise, takes its name is a bedrock ridge streamlined by glacial action. Archaelogical excavations in 1908 showed an artificial mound on top of the hill to have been a burial place for late prehistoric Indians. Within recorded time, the hill was a gathering place for buffalo hunters and for Indians who held ceremonial dances there and named it “Little Dance Hill.” A local legend recorded by settlers about 1878 states that, sometime between 1851 and 1855, the Sioux were defeated by Red River buffalo hunters in a skirmish near the hill.
A commemorative plaque for the mound was erected near the Pilot Mound Cemetery by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: The “Old Mound” and Bank Vault (Municipality of Louise)
“The Dakota-Metis Battle of Mepawaquomoshin, circa 1851” by Lawrence Barkwell, Scribd.
This page was prepared by Ed Grassick and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 December 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.