This one-storey brick building on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in 1930 as a grocery for Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited. After Safeway Stores Limited purchased Piggly Wiggly in mid-1935, the store was eventually rebranded. It was vacant at the time of a 2020 site visit.
Former Piggly Wiggly and Safeway store on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87900, W97.21452
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.