Pembina School was established formally in May 1884. A school building was erected by 1889 on the northwest quarter of 25-4-11 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Louise. It closed in 1967 and the remaining students went to Pilot Mound Consolidated School No. 105. The district was dissolved the next year. The school building is no longer present at the site but metal sign commemorates it.
The former Pembina School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 609.
Pembina School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.32881, W98.83995
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pembina School / Gladstone School (Osborne Street, Winnipeg)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 June 2017
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.