Historic Sites of Manitoba: Peck Building (33 Princess Street, Winnipeg)

In 1893, merchant John W. Peck commissioned local architect Charles Henry Wheeler to design a four-storey warehouse for his Montreal-based clothing business, to be built at the corner of Notre Dame Avenue and Princess Street. The next year, the Peck firm occupied the larger southern portion of the building that fronted on Notre Dame while O’Loughlin Brothers Stationers occupied the smaller northern part.

In 1907, architect John Danley Atchison prepared plans for two additional floors, built by the construction firm of Carter-Halls-Aldinger. Some employees of the company who were killed during service in the First World War were commemorated at a 61st Battalion concert held at the Walker Theatre on 13-14 December 1915.

Alterations in 1929 were carried out by W. A. Irish and Company. The Peck Company moved out in the early 1930s. Since then, the building has been occupied by a variety of businesses. It became a municipally-designated historic building in 1984.

Beck Building

Peck Building (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg

Peck Building

Peck Building (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Peck Building

Peck Building (April 2021)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89653, W97.14351
denoted by symbol on the map above

First World War Casualty

Name

Occupation

Service

Rank

Birth Date

Death Date

Arthur Maggs Godwin
[Next of Kin]

Salesman

8th Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Lance Corporal

30 January 1885

24 April 1915

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: IOOF Hall (72 Princess Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Memorable Manitobans: John W. Peck (1850-1920)

Memorable Manitobans: Charles Henry Wheeler (1838-1917)

Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)

Manitoba Business: W. A. Irish and Company

Sources:

“Total value of permits issued at $5,193,000,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 June 1929, page 46.

Peck Building (33 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, February 1984.

We thank George Penner, Jordan Makichuk, and Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 December 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!