Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paulson School No. 1985 (RM of Dauphin)

The Paulson School District was established in June 1919 and a wood frame schoolhouse was constructed at SE29-24-18W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The building also served as a local community centre, for meetings, Sunday School picnics, dances, and concerts. With school consolidation in the 1950s, the school closed permanently in 1957 and students from this area went to schools in Dauphin. The building and site were sold to a local farmer and, as of 2013, the building stands a couple of miles away where it is used for storage. A commemorative monument, containing a brief history of the school and a guest book, was erected at the site in July 1998, which is surrounded by the former school’s shelterbelt.

The teachers of Paulson School were E. R. Foreman (1919-1920), Gertrude Bingham (1920-1921), Anne Leslie (1921-1922), Irene Douglas (1922-1923), Aitie Hechler (1924), Cora Harkness (1924-1927), Nora M. Rhind (1927-1928), Viola Fulkerson (1928-1929), Isabelle Anderson (1929-1930), Magliena R. Hartford (1930-1933), Audrey E. Rhind (1933-1935), Irene A. Miles (1935-1938), Pearl J. Tuck (1938-1940), Mrs. V. Skramstead (1940), Isabelle J. Paul (1941), G. Thompson (1941), ? McKenzie (1942), Lillian Morgan (1942-1943), Inga Storgaard (1943), Della Rankin (1943-1944), Adele Lee (1944), Irene Hampton (1944-1945), Beulah McLean (1945-1946), Doreen E. Timewell (1946-1949), Betty G. Fletcher (1949-1950), Miss Ethel Ritchie (1951), Loreen Lunds (1951-1952), M. Chernowsky (1952-1954), and Betty G. Fletcher Inkster (1954-1957).

Paulson School

Paulson School (no date) by R. M. Stevenson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 72.

The former Paulson School building at N51.07010, W99.93020

The former Paulson School building at N51.07010, W99.93020 (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason

Paulson School commemorative monument

Paulson School commemorative monument (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.09700, W99.94625
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.

“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.

“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The School District of Pozir #2206 by the Pozir School and District Reunion Committee, April 1998, page 8.

We thank James Arnett for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.