Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paterson Block (54 Donald Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone apartment block was designed by local architect John Danley Atchison and built in 1909 by the construction firm of Gibbons and Harris for grain merchant Hugh Savigny Paterson at a cost of $30,000. The 87 by 46 foot building contained six apartments. Paterson lived in a large house immediately north of it until the early 1920s when he moved into a suite in the block. He remained there until around 1938. It was sold in 1936 and, in 1946, sold again. It was converted to condominiums in 1986.
The building became a municipally-designated historic site in 2005.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1463/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Paterson Block (54 Donald Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, May 2005.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 December 2021