Historic Sites of Manitoba: Parks Creek School No. 3 (RM of St. Andrews)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The Parks Creek School District was established formally in January 1872 and a schoolhouse operated on a one acre site on River Lot 8 in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews, immediately west from River Road. In July 1910, the district and its catchment area was consolidated into the St. Andrews School District No. 2. The old schoolhouse remained on-site until at least March 1921 when both the grounds, then reduced to only a quarter acre, and former school were sold by the school St. Andrews Consolidated School District.

Among the teachers of Parks Creek School were Josephine Fulsher (1883 - Spring 1889), G. L. Haskard (Spring 1890), Herbert William Wadge (Fall 1890 - pt Fall 1891), S. S. Gammon (pt Fall 1891), Robert Lachlan Ross (pt Fall 1891 - Fall 1893), Mary L. Carruthers (Spring 1894 - Spring 1896), Gavin D. Terry (Fall 1896 - Spring 1897 & Spring 1898 - Fall 1901), William James Harrington (Fall 1897), records not available (Spring 1902 - Fall 1904), John McCormick (Spring 1905), Jean E. Armstrong (Fall 1905 - Spring 1907), and Irene E. Nelson (Fall 1907 - Spring 1910).

Parks Creek School No. 3

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.03762, W97.02971
denoted by symbol on the map above


“City and province [The children of St. Andrew’s and Parks’ Creek ...],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 24 August 1883, page 8.

“For sale by tender,” Manitoba Free Press, 3 March 1921, page 15.

Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Parks Creek School District No. 3, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

Rural Municipality of St. Andrews fonds (ZZ 0038), RM of St. Andrews Assessment Roll (Wards 1-6) - 1901 [M1615], GR4172, Archives of Manitoba.

Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Gary 1880-1981 - R.M. of St. Andrews by the Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Property Information - RM of St. Andrews Public Access Maps, Red River Planning District.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 15 July 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!