Historic Sites of Manitoba: Overhill School No. 2084 (RM of Portage la Prairie)
The Overhill School District was organized in 1921 and a one-room schoolhouse was erected the next year at NE22-10-7W in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. The building burned down in March 1951 and was replaced by a new one constructed later that year at a cost of $10,000. It closed permanently in June 1967 when its land became part of the Portage la Prairie School Division. The school, barn, and land were sold, with the school being used as a private residence. It burned in May 1987. A monument was dedicated on 2 August 1992 to the pioneers, trustees, teachers and students of Overhill School.
Some of the teachers who worked at Overhill School through the years were Nora Maguire (daughter of T. M. Maguire, 1922-1923), Leonard Goldsborough (1948-1949), Gordon Gunn (1950-1951), Pearl McLaughry, and Lorraine Lestage.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Former school buns,” Portage Daily Graphic, 13 May 1987.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 March 2014
Back to top of page