Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oldfield, Kirby and Gardner Building / The White House (234 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
This two-storey building along Portage Avenue was constructed in 1909 for the financial services firm of Oldfield, Kirby and Gardner. Designed by local architect J. D. Atchison and built for about $41,000 by the Carter-Halls-Aldinger Company and Davidson Brothers, the firm occupied it through to 1963-1964 when a new building was put up on Donald Street. Through the years, parts of the business were sold or merged with other companies, including the North West Trust Company and the Canadian Western Bank. The building is now a municipally-designated historic site.
Oldfield, Kirby and Gardner Building (July 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89470, W97.13987
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Henry Oldfield (1857-1924)
Memorable Manitobans: Walter Thomas Kirby (1858-1936)
Memorable Manitobans: William Hicks Gardner (1875-1951)
Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carlton Building (354 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
234 Portage Avenue, Former Oldfield, Kirby and Gardner Building, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, June 2004.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 July 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.