Historic Sites of Manitoba: Okno School No. 1789 (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)
The Okno School District was organized formally in April 1915 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE10-24-2E in the Rural Municipality of Bifrost. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Evergreen School Division. The former school building was later used as a community centre.
Among the teachers of Okno School were Olga Podolick (1930-1933 & 1936-1937), Florence D. Moffat (1933-1936), Peter Maydan (1937-1940), Victor Holob (1940-1941), Mike Semenchuk (1942-1943), Bennie Alexander Zaluski (1946-1947), Mayme Sayak (1948-1949), Eldon Keast (1949-1950), Olga Hach (1950-1951), Irene Ann Krypnik (1954-1955), Helen Ruth Weik (1955-1957), Beverly Ann Rattai (1957-1958), Diana Kruk (1958-1959), Eddie Michael Powroznik (1959-1961), Julia Joan Bidochka (1961-1963 & 1964-1966), Andrew Minarik (1963-1964), and Patricia Elaine Robertson (1966-1967).
School District Formation Files (E 0027), Okno School District No. 1789, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Onko School District No. 1789 - Daily Registers, GR6124, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 1 March 2020
Back to top of page