Historic Sites of Manitoba: National Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator (Ochre River, RM of Lakeshore)
A 30,000-bushel wooden grain elevator at Ochre River, on the CNR Ste. Rose Subdivision in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore, was constructed by National Grain around 1920. Expanded with a balloon annex that increased its capacity to 61,000 bushels around 1951, it operated until 1975 when the facility was sold to Cargill Grain. It was closed in 1976 and later removed from the site.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
1921 Canada census, Ancestry.
Obituary [Hugh Jackson Bryan], Dauphin Herald and Press, 27 April 1966, page 11.
Obituary [Ross Alexander Green], Dauphin Herald and Press, 10 November 1967, page 14.
Between Mountain and Lake: A History of Ochre River Rural Municipality, 1885-1970 by Ochre River Women's Institute, c1970, page 188.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Yvonne Lozinski and Bryan Thomson for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 March 2020
Back to top of page