A monument at Nesbitt, in the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa, was erected on 5 July 1992 to commemorate the village’s centenary. In 1891, the Canadian Pacific Railway purchased the northwest quarter of 28-7-18 west of the Principal Meridian and established Nesbitt on the Glenboro extension of its Souris branch line. It is alleged the name was chosen by Senator John Nesbitt Kirchhoffer, who was supposed to have agreed to endow the new village with a bell, but later did not fulfill his end of the bargain.
The monument also commemorates the Presbyterian and Methodist churches that organized at Nesbitt in 1892, merged in 1925 to become Nesbitt United Church, and closed in 1992.
Oakland commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.60074, W99.86307
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Nesbitt Kirchhoffer (1848-1914)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Berbank Memorial Church (Municipality of Grassland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nesbitt Presbyterian Church / Nesbitt United Church / Nesbitt-Berbank United Church (Nesbitt, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 April 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!