Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Ridge Road School No. 730 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

The Ridge Road School District was established in 1893. The original one-room school house was situated in the southwest quarter of 9-11-6 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. In 1929, it was destroyed by fire. There was sufficiently large enrollment that, instead of replacing the school with a single building, two were built: North Ridge Road School at this site, and South Ridge Road School two miles south. Both schools were operated by the same school board. When the school closed permanently in 1968, the building was moved to Portage la Prairie where it was made into a duplex residence. The only remnant of the former school is its shelterbelt of trees, a baseball backstop, and a monument unveiled on 2 July 2000.

The original Ridge Road School

The original Ridge Road School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 116.

North Ridge Road School

North Ridge Road School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 116.

North Ridge Road School commemorative monument

North Ridge Road School commemorative monument (February 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.91642, W98.23872
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Ridge Road School No. 730 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.