Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Kildonan War Memorial (215 Maxwell King Drive, East St. Paul)
The North Kildonan War Memorial was erected in the fall of 1968 in the John Dickson Memorial Park in honour of those who died in service of Canada during the First World War, Second World War, and Korean War. It was formally commemorated with a parade on 8 September 1968, attended by Mines and Natural Resources Minister Donald Craik (on behalf of Premier Walter Weir), members of seven Royal Canadian Legions in the Greater Winnipeg area (including the Prince Edward Branch No. 81 and Henderson Highway Branch No. 215), Legion Command Central, Salvation Army, HMCS Chippawa, the councils of North Kildonan and East Kildonan, and representatives from their respective fire and police departments.
The monument remained within the former North Kildonan neighbourhood in Winnipeg until the summer of 2019. It was removed for restoration following the city’s sale of the 1400 Henderson Highway property, on which it stood, and relocated to the grounds of the Henderson Highway Legion in East St. Paul.
North Kildonan Council History - 1960-1971, by Jim Smith, North East Winnipeg Historical Society.
“Remembrance service,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 1968, page 21.
“Parade recalls 2 wars,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 September 1968, page 3.
“Cenotaph dedicated,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 September 1968, page 31.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 September 2019
Back to top of page