Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: North High Bluff School No. 23 (1875-1963)

The original school was built on Max Wilton’s yard site (29-12-5W) in 1872, in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. North High Bluff School (sometimes referred to as Wilton School) was built and established on 33-12-5W in 1903 and stood until 1943 when it was destroyed by fire. School was held at Wilton’s house between 1943 and 1946. In the latter year the school was rebuilt and closed in 1961 when it was consolidated with High Bluff Consolidated School No. 2418. The school burned in 1975. A monument was dedicated at the site in August 2001.

Some of the teachers who worked at North High Bluff School through the years were Jean Wilton Law (1907), Lucy Metcalfe Davidson, Eunice Cruikshank, Miss Graham, Lena Barron McKay, Miss Jackson, Myrtle Moffat Millar, Myrtle Barron Metcalfe, Emma McIntosh, Lillian Tyson, Melba Ross Scrase, Jose Griffin, Marguerite Wilton Pruder, Helen Miller Judd, Betty Morgan Kennedy, Martha Hanson Warburton, Geraldine Thompson, Irene Pelk Murdoch, Ella Earls Cook, Louise Cook, Sarah Donnelly Smith, Mrs. Low, Mrs. Alice Laird, Betty Cook Stevens, Mrs. Laura Wilton, Marjorie Greenlay Young, Dorothy Millar, Ann Wiwchar, Irine Mcphee, Verna Allan, Miss Enns, Miss Zacharias, Margaret Allan Woodward, and Mrs. Ethel Tidsbury.

North High Bluff School

North High Bluff School monument (March 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.04914, W98.10151
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 December 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.