Historic Sites of Manitoba: Florence Block / Northern Hotel (826 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Main Street in Winnipeg was originally constructed as a two-storey structure known as the Florence Block. Designed by local architect Daniel Smith, the 64-foot wide and 75-foot deep structure was constructed in 1906 by contractor G. Cinq Mars. The following year, Smith made substantial modifications that entailed addition of a third floor and a separate kitchen by contractor Louis A. Pachal. Heat was provided by two steam boilers in the basement; one heated the first and third floors while the other was used for the second floor and kitchen. Operated as the Northern Hotel by W. A. Lawson and Bert Eastwood, it had 61 bedrooms, parlor, office, rotunda, and bar-room.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2360/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Permits for building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 June 1907, page 5.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1424/1907, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1520/1907, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Apartment buildings and hotels,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 November 1907, page 28.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Kerrin Asmundson for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 23 November 2021