This monument in the Rural Municipality of Lorne commemorates Norquay School District, which was established in a building on the southwest quarter of 15-10-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in 1883. It operated until January 1959 when its remaining students went to Swan Lake Consolidated School No. 345.
Among the teachers of Norquay School was George E. Basham (c1949).
Norquay School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 10.
Norquay School commemorative sign (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.47351, W98.74058
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Norquay School (Lusted Avenue, Winnipeg)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 November 2018
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.