Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nord School No. 1483 (Municipality of West Interlake)

The Nord School District was established formally in March 1909 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE16-22-6W, on land donated by J. O. Nord for whom the school was named, in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building burned in 1978. Its concrete foundation remains at the site along with a commemorative sign.

Among the teachers of Nord School were Lena Thorvilson (1909), Margaret J. Sigurdson (1909), Frank E. Kellberg (1912), George MacLeod Georfe? (1913), Joseph Agius (1913), D. B. Binkley (1914), R. H. Riddle (1914), Alex S. Corrigill (1915), Georgina Gillanders (1918), Nan Gowanlock (1918-1919), Clarence E. Maddin (1921), Harry B. Hunter (1922), Lucy Slaughter (1922-1924), Nora M. Gair (1925), Jentie M. Robb (1926), Lucy Evaline Mills (1926-1927), Mary Louise Rixon (1927-1928), Elizabeth Elsie Swan (1928-1930), Ethel Christine Johnson (1930-1932), Gytha Olafsdottir Hallson (1932-1934), Ann Kenny (1934), Nettie Ida Zaidman (1934-1935), Emma Pauline Fersyth (1937-1938), Emma Louisa (1939-1940), Audrey Viola Cline (1940-1941), Martha Lemonson (1946-1947), Nena Wilfreda Haacke (1949-1950), Ellen Maria Berg (1950-1951), Eleanor K. Rostek (1951-1952), Mary Toews (1952-1953), Fjola Lorraine Finnson (1953-1954), Baldrun Johnson (1954-1955), Odalheidur Ethel Vigfusson (1955-1956), Joyce Hertzog (1956-1957), Mr. M. Zolkewich (1957-1958), Janice E. Olsson Appleyard (1958-1959), Anne Dueck (1959-1960), Peter Mikolayenko (1960-1961), Agnes Christine Jonasson (1961-1962), Kristin S. Benedictson (1962-1963), and Ruth Bruce (1963-1965).

Nord School

Nord School (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 125.

Concrete foundation for the former Nord School building

Concrete foundation for the former Nord School building (November 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Nord School commemorative sign

Nord School commemorative sign (November 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.90374, W98.22776
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Eriksdale East topographic map, 62J/16 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Nord School District No. 1483 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

Beyond Beginnings by Eriksdale Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, 1996, pages 69-70.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 23 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.