Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nora School No. 1551 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
The Nora School District was organized formally in October 1910 and named for Honora “Nora” Rhind, a granddaughter of local settler Charles Kinsey Newcombe and daughter of Frederick Rhind. According to Nora Rhind’s later memoirs, Newcombe was invited to name the school district and chose the name because she was the first girl born in the area.
There were insufficient students to warrant the building of a school until 1947. In the meantime, students were transported to Westbourne School. A school building was erected in the southwest quarter of 30-13-10 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Westbourne. It closed in 1962 and the building was sold to the St. Marks School District and moved across Lake Manitoba for use as Minnetonka School. The Nora district was formally dissolved in April 1967. A commemorative monument was unveiled in the summer of 1995 and dedicated to the pioneers who established Nora School.
Some of the teachers who worked at Nora School through the years were Mrs. Perry and Mary Beaudin.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 27.
We thank James Arnett and Garry Workman for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 July 2018