This four-storey brick residential apartment building on Cumberland Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect C. W. U. Chivers and built in 1912 by James McDiarmid for the Notre Dame Investment Company. During the course of construction, the project consumed 10 cords of stone, 400,000 red bricks, 2,000 square yards of plaster, and 600 cubic yards of concrete.
Memorable Manitobans: Cyril William Upton Chivers (1879-1969)
Memorable Manitobans: James McDiarmid (1855-1934)
Building Permit No. 2792, 16 May 1910, Box A741, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Nakomis Apartments, 344 Cumberland Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, January 2007.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 March 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.