Historic Sites of Manitoba: New Valley School No. 2106 (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)
The New Valley School District was established in June 1923 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW33-22-1E in the Rural Municipality of Bifrost. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Evergreen School Division. As of 2015, the former school building was still standing at the site, along with the concrete foundation of its teacherage.
Among the teachers of New Valley School was Nicholas Melnychuk (1950-1956).
Arborg topographic map, 62I/14, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 November 2019
Back to top of page