Historic Sites of Manitoba: Newcombe School No. 1716 (RM of Lac du Bonnet)
The Newcombe School District was established formally in January 1914, probably named for provincial Superintendent of Education Charles Kenning Newcombe, and a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated at NW12-16-11E in the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet. In 1954, the site was flooded due to construction of the McArthur Falls power plant on the Winnipeg River nearby, and a new building was constructed on Wendigo Road. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its area became part of the Agassiz School Division.
Among the teachers of Newcombe School were Mrs. Naima Erickson (1916), Jaroslaw Weywera (1917-1921), Harry Blair (1921), Sydney Stewart (1921-1922), J. Bunzeluk (1922-1937), N. Yurchison (1937-1939), K. Sosney (1939-1942), Mabel McMahon (1942-1945), Jacob Warkentin (1945-1947), Stella Bilinsky (1947-1948), Josephine Richtik (1948-1949), John Oberton (1949-1951), Verne Parks (1952), Nellie Campbell (1952-1953), Joseph Barney Dram (1954), Therese Marchand (1954), Elma Patterson (1955), Hertha Mattern (1955-1958), Phyllis Solindky (1959), Joanne Hirst (1960-1961), Elizabeth Etsell (1961-1962), Mrs. O’Toole (1962-1963), Richard Ferniuk (1963-1964), and Helen Lagsdin (1964-1965).
School District Formation Files [Newcombe School District No. 1716], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Caviar and Venison [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.L33 Cav 1991]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 May 2015
Back to top of page